Using Honey To Beautify the Skin
We are always searching for skincare products that can maintain our skins in order to look clean, feel smooth, fresh and moisturized. Some people think about facials as expensive ordeals but for people who have discovered the benefits of natural cosmetics, facials no longer stress their budgets.
Manuka honey is one of the most widely used indigenous skincare products today. It is used alone or in a mixture with other natural products. The use of honey for medicinal purposes dates back many years. In fact, medical literature of the ancient world has documented it as a medication for most of the ailments experienced back then.
Today, there is a great relationship between honey and the beauty industry. Clinical studies have affirmed the properties of manuka honey that make it beneficial to the skin. A few questions to ask, What are the properties of honey that make it an exemplary skincare product? How is honey used for skincare?
There are many different grades of Unique Manuka Factor. There are many best manuka honey reviews around the internet that describe the MGO and other properties of this unique superfood. But, before you run away, look at the top five healing attributes below.
Properties of honey that make it an excellent skincare product
1. Honey is a cleanser. The natural enzymes in honey provide a thorough cleansing of the skin and removal of toxins. This property is evidenced by the use of honey as an ingredient in the manufacturing of soaps, cleansers, and gels by many cosmetics firms. Honey and the beauty industry are inseparable. The cleansing property of honey helps to lift impurities and dead skin cells. Applying honey on the skin opens clogged pores to allow for the removal of toxins from the body. The result is not only a cleaner look but also a healthier skin and body.
2. Honey nourishes the skin. Unlike lotions and other conventional skincare products which add chemicals like phthalates and parabens to our skins, honey provides skin cells with minerals, natural enzymes, vitamins, and antioxidants. These substances literally feed the body from outside in a healthy manner.
3. Manuka honey is a moisturizer and exfoliate. Honey is rich in sugars such as glucose, fructose, and acids such as alpha-hydroxy acids that make it a natural exfoliant. They help to maintain the skin soft and revitalized. Honey also regenerates dead cells and attracts moisture to keep the skin hydrated throughout the day.
4. Honey disinfects and heals wounds and skin conditions. There is an enzyme in honey that produces hydrogen peroxide, a well-known disinfectant. Honey is also highly viscous and forms a protective barrier against infection. The antibacterial property of honey makes it useful in treating wounds.
Honey stimulates tissue growth, enhances epithelialization, and minimizes scar formation. It has been proven to be an effective remedy for acne. For this purpose, it is mixed with cinnamon powder, applied on the acne and left overnight. Doing this over and over helps to treat the skin condition in a few weeks.
5. Honey’s anti-ageing property: The anti-oxidants in honey prevent the formation of premature wrinkles (signs of ageing). The use of honey, therefore, helps to keep the skin firm and smooth. If you want to stay young forever, have a jar of honey in your bathroom.
Creating honey skin masks
- Skin masks are the best way to incorporate honey into your daily skincare routine. Below are some useful suggestions of honey skin masks:
- Basic mask: mix raw honey with baking soda. You will be using this mixture to massage you face in circular motions during your facials.
- Pore minimization: mix one teaspoon of raw honey with pastured egg in a small bowl and apply to your skin.
- Acne prevention on an oily skin: mix 1 tablespoon of organic honey with ¼ cup of mashed strawberries.
- Moisturize your skin: mix honey, lemon juice, and organic jojoba oil.
- Skin refresher: mix grated cucumber, 5 teaspoons of organic milk, ¼ cup of lemon, and 5 teaspoons of honey. Add gluten-free oats until a thick paste is obtained and refrigerate for 5 to 6 hours.
Always ensure that you are using natural honey (that is from the bees) and not honey from the factories. Also, more importantly, don’t use honey on small children as it can be too strong for them.